Privacy fences exist between most patios or decks of individual living units within the association. Association members may enclose their patios or decks at their own expense. However, construction of a new privacy fence must be approved by the Board of Directors. A New Fence Application must be completed and sent with plans drawings and specifications for this purpose. This form can be used for multiple units of one building if a homeowner or homeowners are building fences at the same time for different units. Also, a City of Blue Springs building permit must be obtained. The required information for obtaining a Blue Springs building permit encompasses the required information for the Association approval.
Furthermore, the association will not be responsible for the cost of future repairs to the newly constructed fence addition nor be responsible for lawn care within the enclosed area. Of due course, if the present owner(s) or any future owner(s) of the property with the additional fence fails to comply with the maintenance standards of the Covenants (Article VII), they will receive written notice accordingly. If the needed repairs are not made by the owner(s) after written notice has been received, the Association will have the repairs completed at the owner’s expense. If the owner fails to reimburse the Association for the cost of the repairs, a lien will be placed on the title property.
Be aware that new privacy fence construction must comply with the following provisions:
- The new fence is consistent with the original fence’s construction and architectural style.
- The new fence is maintained in accordance with association standards by current owner(s) and all future owner(s).
- The boundary of the new fence does not extend into the common area property and only encompass the patio or deck area.
- The material is the same quality as the original fence: pressure treated wood or cedar, and galvanized nails.
To ensure that these provisions are met, the following procedure must be executed before the proposed fence may be erected:
- Print the New Fence Application or request a copy by mail.
- Notify the Board of Directors by email or through the Message Center (816) 598-4342 that you intend to build a privacy fence (if you don’t request an application by mail).
- Obtain a building permit from the City of Blue Springs for your new fence. Call the Codes Administration Office for their specific requirements. (816) 228-0118
- Fill out the HOA New Fence Application.
- Send: the completed New Fence Application, a copy of your Blue Springs building permit, and a copy of your proposed fence plans with specifications that give the location, dimensions, shape, and materials to be used to the HOA via mail: P.O. Box 983, Blue Springs, MO 64013
- Receive notification of approval from the Board of Directors which will come as the New Fence Application returned signed by the HOA president.
When this procedure is complete, you may erect your new privacy fence. This procedure protects the homeowner by making sure they are in compliance with the City of Blue Springs construction codes and the HOA Covenants (Article V).